2020 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R
Having shed its skin, the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R is now a leaner, meaner and an even more menacing hyper-naked bike than ever before. Mounted into an all-new chassis, beats an updated version of the renowned 75 degree, 1301 cc LC8, V-Twin heart, taking THE BEAST to the next level. Every piece, system, nut and bolt of the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R wants you to go fast and yet stay in control: the wide, low handlebar, the Brembo monobloc brakes, the MSC including cornering ABS, the glorious WP suspension, the optional, two-way Quickshifter+, the new multifunctional TFT display and the LED headlight. The KTM MY RIDE smartphone and audio player integration comes as standard, and with the KTM RACE ON transponder key in your pocket, you can forget about ignition keys and mechanically locked fuel caps.
2020 KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R HIGHLIGHTS
- UPDATED, more powerful 1,301 cc LC8 V-Twin, with titanium inlet valves and resonator chambers on the cylinder heads, sets the standard in the naked segment in terms of horsepower and torque.
- NEW thinner engine casings and revised water and oil cooler mounts have resulted in a 0.8 kg (1.7 lbs) weight saving.
- NEW engine carrier bracket and linkage mount have been integrated into the engine case, allowing for a stiffer connection and resulting in a 5 mm higher swingarm pivot for improved stability and anti-squat.
- NEW top-feeder injectors and 56 mm throttle bodies provide an improved air to fuel mixture at high rpms, providing more torque and better fuel economy throughout the rev range.
- UPDATED PANKL gearbox provides quicker shift times, shorter shift action and lighter lever modulation.
- NEW ram air intake positioned in the new headlight mask maximizes flow by forcing air into the combustion chambers, reducing the chance of low air pressure and increases the fuel burn rate.
- NEW steel tank with 16 liter (4.2 gal) fuel capacity has been crafted with a new shape and angle designed to support the rider equally on the street and on the track.
- NEW exhaust headers optimize gas flow, while 2 catalytic converters control emissions, without compromising the V-twin engine note or horsepower.
- NEW ultra-lightweight chrome-molybdenum steel frame with the engine as a stressed member is 3 time stiffer and 2 kg (4.4 lbs) lighter than its predecessor, allowing for effortless, confidence-inspiring handling.
- NEW and lighter composite subframe combines a number of functions to save weight and increase functionality.
- NEW longer single-sided swingarm has been repositioned closer to the output sprocket for more control when putting the power down.
- UPDATED, lighter 48 mm WP APEX USD split front forks with separate damping circuits offer composed handling on and off the track. Rebound and compression damping are adjustable, as well as adjustable preload, new for 2020.
- NEWLY developed WP APEX rear shock absorber features separate gas and oil reservoirs, making it lighter and more compact than its predecessor. A 'no-tools-needed' manual preload dial provides the ultimate in rear shock set-up.
- NEW, lighter forged aluminum triple clamps with an offset of 32 mm have been matched to an aluminum steering column for added weight savings.
- NEW linkage at the rear helps to smooth out rough roads, while still ensuring that full-attack track action remains uncompromised.
- NEW CAD designed wheels offer a lighter build while keeping strength and looking fantastic.
- Brand-new Bridgestone S22 tires developed with a specific carcass in the rear for the KTM 1290 SUPER DUKE R offers a more stable ride in corners, improving grip and performance.
- NEW reworked and updated ride modes have been designed to be less intrusive in all modes with smoother anti-wheelie functions.
- MSC (Motorcycle Stability Control) with Cornering ABS by Bosch incl. Supermoto mode, Ride mode technology and multi-stage, lean angle sensitive Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC)
- NEW lean angle sensitive Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC) uses a 6 axis lean angle sensor and two different controllers to keep things in check. The wheel-slip controller regulates the amount of spin or break in traction at the rear wheel. A pitch angle controller identifies and regulates abrupt changes in front wheel lift.
- Optional "Track mode" includes launch control, 9-level spin adjuster, a track ride mode, and anti-wheelie off function.
- Optional "Performance mode" takes the basic concept of "Track mode" but adapts it for the street. Riders are still able to adjust throttle response, wheel slip and anti-wheelie functions, but retain typical street functions such as Cruise Control and KTM MY RIDE.
- Optional dealer-installed Performance Pack combines Motor Slip Regulation (MSR), Quickshifter+.
- KTM MY RIDE comes as standard and features a Bluetooth connection to the rider's smart phone to control audio playback and to accept phone calls.
- NEW LED headlight and LED daytime running lights for an aggressive front profile and great visibility.
- NEW multifunctional TFT-dashboard with increased functionality displays all important information in a clear and bright display and is angle adjustable with a bonded glass display for scratch and glare resistance.
- NEW menu switches with paddle buttons allows for quick and easy selection of Ride Modes, traction control slip adjust or to set two programmable switches for fast access to favored features or setting of their choosing.
- NEW color ways and new bodywork that is aggressive, menacing and lean-every panel and plate has been calculated for optimum thickness and minimized wherever possible.
- Cruise control for long distance convenience.
- KTM RACE ON keyless system for less hassle and increased security.
Engine Type: 2-Cylinder, 4-Stroke, 75Â° V-Twin, DOHC
Displacement: 1,301 cc
Bore/Stroke: 108/71 mm
Starter: Electric; 12V 11.2Ah
Transmission: 6 Gears
Fuel System: Keihin EFI, 56 mm Throttle Body
Lubrication: Pressure Lubrication, 3 Eaton Pumps
Cooling: Liquid Cooling
Clutch: PASC Slipper Clutch, Hydraulically Operated
Ignition: Keihin EMS with Ride-By-Wire, Dual Ignition
Frame: Chrome-moly Steel, Powder Coated
Subframe: Cast Aluminum/Composite
Handlebar: Aluminum, Tapered, Ã 28/22 mm
Front Suspension: WP APEX USD Ã 48 mm
Rear Suspension: WP APEX Monoshock
Suspension Travel Front/Rear: 125 mm/ 4.9 in; 140 mm/ 5.5 in
Front/Rear Brakes: Disc Brake 320 mm/240 mm
Front/Rear Wheels: 3.50 x 17", 6.00 x 17"
Front/Rear Tires: 120/70ZR17"; 200/55ZR17"
Steering Head Angle: 25.2Âº
Wheelbase: 1,497 mm Â± 15 mm / 58.9 Â± 0.6 in
Ground Clearance: 160 mm / 6.3 in
Seat Height: 835 mm / 32.8 in
Tank Capacity: 16 L / 4.2 gal
Dry Weight, Approx: 189 kg/ 416.6 lbs
Source: KTM North America