2020 Honda CRF250RX Features And Benefits
|May 7, 2019
Today Honda announced information and specs regarding the 2020 CRF 250RX. Campaigned in national championship off-road racing by JCR Honda's Preston Campbell, SLR Honda's Tallon LaFountaine and Phoenix Racing Honda's Austin Lee, the CRF250RX features closed-course off-road specific components like a large fuel tank, aluminum sidestand, and 18-inch rear wheel, and for 2020, it receives a host of important updates, including engine enhancements aimed at bettering low-to-midrange power, and chassis revisions that improve handling. To increase torque and improve driveability, the cam profile is new, the combustion chamber is reshaped, and the exhaust resonator has been removed. At the same time, maneuverability has been improved through a lighter frame and swingarm with optimized flex characteristics, along with a lower battery position and internal suspension updates.
[caption id="attachment_72871" align="aligncenter" width="300"] 2020 Honda CRF250RX[/caption]
- New cam profile delays opening of exhaust valves and has
reduced valve overlap, resulting in improved torque and power in
the 6,000-10,000 rpm range.
- Optimized combustion-chamber shape.
- Ignition timing is optimized at 8,000 rpm for improved torque
- Gear-position sensor added to allow dedicated ignition maps for
- Header-pipe resonator is removed for improved power character
when shifting from second to third gear.
- Muffler is revised for improved low-to-midrange torque.
- New air-filter element is 10% larger for increased airflow.
- Enlarged left-side radiator for efficient cooling with higher
- Second gear has revised (higher) ratio for improved drive,
while second and third gears have a new WPC surface treatment for
improved durability and reduced friction.
- Clutch capacity is increased by 18%, and clutch spring has a
- New lighter aluminum perimeter frame and aluminum swingarm are
designed to achieve increased yaw-angle stiffness while retaining
lateral and torsional stiffness, resulting in improved
- Newly shaped footpegs are 20% lighter and shed mud more easily,
giving the rider great feel and confidence in all riding
- Thanks in part to revised internal suspension settings (fork
has increased low-speed damping, while shock has increased
low-speed compression and reduced high-speed compression), handling
has been improved in the following areas: tracking, turning and
- Battery repositioned 28mm lower to drop center of gravity for
- Rear brake has a shorter hose and longer, lighter pedal, as
well as a new pad material with improved power and better
durability in muddy conditions. Lower-rear brake guard removed for
reduced unsprung weight and improved cooling.
- New graphics.
- High-performance, DOHC, 249cc single-cylinder engine with
dual-overhead-cam design and high rev limit, offering great
- Finger rocker arms with Diamond Like Coating (DLC) maximize
valve lift while retaining a low engine height.
- Downdraft intake layout produces strong power and enables great
throttle response by reducing resistance, thereby improving
- 44mm throttle body provides ideal low-rpm intake airflow for
strong corner-exit performance.
- Piston oil jet uses five nozzle holes for efficient
piston-cooling efficiency and minimized knocking, enabling a
precise ignition-timing setting for optimum power delivery.
- Advanced AC generator reduces weight and friction losses.
- Electric-start standard for easy, fast engine startup.
- Easily selectable Standard, Smooth, and Aggressive riding modes
enable simple tuning depending on rider preference or course
- Selectable HRC launch control provides a steady stream of
torque for excellent performance on race starts.
- 2.2 gallon resin fuel tank for completing long closed-course
- 18-inch rear wheel to enable taller tire sidewalls for improved
traction in technical conditions.
- Forged aluminum side stand is designed to be lightweight yet
- Sealed drive chain to withstand the elements.
- Suspension with settings dedicated to closed-course off-road
- Low center of gravity reduces front-end lift for strong
- Lightweight front-brake caliper uses pistons of different
diameters (30mm and 27mm) for strong braking performance.
- Front brake hose resists expansion for precise braking.
- RenthalÂ® FatbarÂ® reduces weight of the steering system, and
flexes for optimal comfort.
- Top triple clamp features two handlebar-holder locations for
moving the handlebar rearward and forward by 26mm, ensuring rider
comfort. When holder is turned 180 degrees, the handlebar can be
moved an additional 10mm from the base position, resulting in four
total unique riding positions.
- Black rims deliver a strong presence on and off the track.
- Smooth bodywork layout eases rider movement.
- In-mold graphics are durable and resistant to peeling caused by
washing or abrasion.
- Dunlop Geomax AT81 tires provide optimum feel and traction in
challenging riding conditions.
Model CRF250RX ENGINE Type 249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke Valve Train DOHC, four-valve; 33mm intake, titanium; 26mm exhaust, titanium Bore x Stroke 79.0mm x 50.9mm Compression Ratio 13.9:1 Induction Programmed fuel-injection system (PGM-FI); 44mm throttle bore Ignition Full transistorized Starter Push-button electric starter Transmission Constant-mesh 5-speed return; manual Clutch Multiplate wet (6 springs) Final Drive #520 sealed chain; 13T/48T SUSPENSION
49mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil-spring fork w/ 12.0 in. travel Rear Pro-Link system; fully adjustable Showa single shock w/ 12.4 in. wheel travel BRAKES Front 2-piston caliper (30mm, 27mm) hydraulic; single 260mm disc Rear 1-piston caliper hydraulic; single 240mm disc TIRES Front Dunlop Geomax AT81 80/100-21 w/ tube Rear Dunlop Geomax AT81 110/100-18 w/ tube MEASUREMENTS Rake (Caster Angle) 27Â°18' Trail 115mm (4.5 in.) Length 86.0 in. Width 32.6 in. Height 49.7 in. Ground Clearance 13.0 in. Seat Height 37.8 in. Wheelbase 58.5 in. Fuel Capacity 2.25 gal. Color Red Curb Weight* 244 lbs.
Source: Honda news