2020 Honda CRF250R Features And Benefits
Today Honda announced
information and specs regarding the 2020 CRF250R. The machine that
took Chase Sexton to the 2019 AMA 250SX East Region Supercross
Championship and Jace Owen to the 2019 Kicker Arenacross title gets
a host of important updates for 2020, including engine enhancements
aimed at bettering low-to-midrange power, and chassis revisions
that improve handling. To increase torque and improve driveability,
the cam profile is new, the combustion chamber is reshaped, and the
exhaust resonator has been removed. At the same time,
maneuverability has been improved through a lighter frame and
swingarm with optimized flex characteristics, along with a lower
battery position and internal front-and-rear suspension
[caption id="attachment_72869" align="aligncenter" width="300"] 2020 Honda CRF250R[/caption]
- New cam profile delays opening of exhaust valves and has
reduced valve overlap, resulting in improved torque and power in
the 6,000-10,000 rpm range.
- Optimized combustion-chamber shape.
- Ignition timing is optimized at 8,000 rpm for improved torque
- Gear-position sensor added to allow dedicated ignition maps for
- Header-pipe resonator is removed for improved power character
when shifting from second to third gear.
- Muffler is revised for improved low-to-midrange torque.
- New air-filter element is 10% larger for increased airflow.
- Enlarged left-side radiator for efficient cooling with higher
- Second gear has revised (higher) ratio for improved drive,
while second and third gears have a new WPC surface treatment for
improved durability and reduced friction.
- Clutch capacity is increased by 18%, and clutch spring has a
- New lighter aluminum perimeter frame and aluminum swingarm are
designed to achieve increased yaw-angle stiffness while retaining
lateral and torsional stiffness, resulting in improved
- Newly shaped footpegs are 20% lighter and shed mud more easily,
giving the rider great feel and confidence in all riding
- Thanks in part to revised internal suspension settings (fork
has increased low-speed damping, while shock has increased
low-speed compression and reduced high-speed compression), handling
has been improved in the following areas: stability, tracking,
turning and traction.
- Battery repositioned 28mm lower to drop center of gravity for
- Rear brake has a shorter hose and longer, lighter pedal, as
well as a new pad material with improved power and better
durability in muddy conditions. Lower-rear brake guard removed for
reduced unsprung weight and improved cooling.
- New graphics.
- High-performance, DOHC, 249cc single-cylinder engine with
dual-overhead-cam design and high rev limit, offering great
- Finger rocker arms with Diamond Like Coating (DLC) maximize
valve lift while retaining a low engine height.
- Downdraft intake layout produces strong power and enables great
throttle response by reducing resistance, thereby improving
- 44mm throttle body provides ideal low-rpm intake airflow for
strong corner-exit performance.
- Piston oil jet uses five nozzle holes for efficient
piston-cooling efficiency and minimized knocking, enabling a
precise ignition-timing setting for optimum power delivery.
- Advanced AC generator reduces weight and friction losses.
- Electric-start standard for easy, fast engine startup.
- Easily selectable Standard, Smooth, and Aggressive riding modes
enable simple tuning depending on rider preference or course
- Selectable HRC launch control provides a steady stream of
torque for excellent performance on race starts.
- Low center of gravity reduces front-end lift for strong
- Lightweight and compact 1.66 gallon titanium tank keeps weight
to a minimum.
- Lightweight front-brake caliper uses pistons of different
diameters (30mm and 27mm) for strong braking performance.
- Front brake hose resists expansion for precise braking.
- RenthalÂ® FatbarÂ® reduces weight of the steering system, and
flexes for optimal comfort.
- Top triple clamp features two handlebar-holder locations for
moving the handlebar rearward and forward by 26mm, ensuring rider
comfort. When holder is turned 180 degrees, the handlebar can be
moved an additional 10mm from the base position, resulting in four
total unique riding positions.
- Black rims deliver a strong presence on and off the track.
- Smooth bodywork layout eases rider movement.
- In-mold graphics are durable and resistant to peeling caused by
washing or abrasion.
- Geomax MX3S tires, exclusively available through Honda, for
superior bump absorption and grip in wide variety of
|Type||249cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Valve Train||DOHC, four-valve; 33mm intake, titanium; 26mm exhaust, titanium|
|Bore x Stroke||79.0mm x 50.9mm|
|Induction||Programmed fuel-injection system (PGM-FI); 44mm throttle bore|
|Starter||Push-button electric starter|
|Transmission||Constant-mesh 5-speed return; manual|
|Clutch||Multiplate wet (5 springs)|
|Final Drive||#520 chain; 13T/48T|
|Front||49mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil-spring fork; 12.0 in. travel|
|Rear||Pro-Link system; fully adjustable Showa single shock; 12.4 in. travel|
|Front||2-piston caliper (30mm, 27mm) hydraulic; single 260mm disc|
|Rear||1-piston caliper hydraulic; single 240mm disc|
|Front||Dunlop Geomax MX3S 80/100-21 w/ tube|
|Rear||Dunlop Geomax MX3S 100/90-19 w/ tube|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||27Â°22'|
|Trail||116mm (4.6 in.)|
|Ground Clearance||12.9 in.|
|Seat Height||37.8 in.|
|Fuel Capacity||1.6 gal.|
|Curb Weight*||237 lbs.|